Episode 24: Supplement Recommendations, Hydration & Electrolytes, Menopause & Ketosis and More!
In this episode, Rachel talks electrolytes and hydration, HIIT at home, menopause and ketosis, and top recommendations for supplements everyone should consider taking due to lack of nutrients in our modern-day food supply.
Episode Top Takeaways:
- How to properly replenish electrolytes and stay hydrated during workouts
- Favorite at-home HIIT workouts
- Menopause, carb-cycling, and ketosis
- Importance of consuming salt pre-workout
- Supplement recommendations that everyone should consider
- [0:00] Sign up for the Friday Flex
- [1:20] When mountain biking in 85+ temperatures, which and how much electrolytes should you replenish each hour to prevent getting behind on hydration being in ketosis?
- [2:30] “although sports drinks can have their place. I think focusing more on actual overall hydration and salt and electrolytes in general can really do a lot more than just pumping yourself full of sugar”
- [3:30] Hydrate with water, and replenish with salts and other electrolytes all day, everyday. Not just right before you exercise.
- [4:00] Urine color hydration breakdown chart
- [6:00] Half your body weight in ounces per day of water
- [6:45] Start with salt!
- [8:00] Ben Greenfield and Dr. Tim Noakes
- [8:30] What are your favorite HIIT workouts if you don’t have access to a machine or a hill?
- [9:30] Tabata exercises and the GymBoss Interval Timer app
- [10:00] Burpees, Mountain Climbers, Stair Sprints, and Jump Rope
- [11:30] How does being a woman in your 50’s affect Keto, carb-cycling, and metabolic flexibility?
- [12:00] Episode with Dr. Jaime Seeman!
- [14:00] Estrogen levels during menopause and glucose transfer to the brain
- Carb Ups, Carb Cycling and Building an Anti-Fragile Metabolism
- Keto For Women Program
- One-on-One Coaching Application
- [18:00] Eat mostly animal-based (with carbs around workouts) but still can’t see muscles well - any tips?
- [19:00] More reasons to increase sodium
- [21:00] How long should you wait for keto/IF symptoms to subside?
- Link to blog on different types of fats
- [26:30] What is a supplement that everyone should have?
- [25:00] Lack of nutrients in food supply and general lack of proper environment has led to us being mineral deficient
- [31:00] Headache or lightheaded? Take some (high-quality) salt with some water.
- [31:30] The most deficient vitamin is vitamin D
- Episode with Dr. Ken Berry talking about sunscreen and vitamin D.
- [34:30] Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K synergy
- [37:00] Fish oil - Cod liver oil. EPA and DEA are essential and necessary for balancing omega levels
- [38:00] Creatine: Topping off the tank
- [39:00] Collagen, Glycine, Glutathione and REAL bone both
- Rachel’s Amazon Shop Page and Products Page for the brands she uses and recommends
Listen to the full episode HERE.
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).