Low-Carb Strawberry Shortcake
Last weekend I went strawberry picking at an orchard in Carlsbad, CA, and came home with a HUGE bucket of delicious, perfectly ripe strawberries. Of course this meant that I needed to get to work figuring out what do with all of them. 😆
And that's where this quick and easy low-carb strawberry shortcake came to life. Seriously, this is probably one of my favorite low-carb dessert recipes I've made in a while. The cake is SUPER moist and it was so easy to throw together. I actually ended up baking it in the toaster oven because I didn't feel like turning on the big oven (and it came out perfectly!)
The strawberry sauce was also super easy to make and although it's not necessary, it adds that extra touch along with some sugar-free whipped cream on top! 😋
10 mins Cook Time:
50 mins Total Time
Makes 9 Servings
For the strawberry shortcake:
- 4 tablespoons (56g) butter, softened
- ¾ cup (144g) granular sweetener (I like BochaSweet or Lakanto)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (56g) plain greek yogurt (you can also use sour cream)
- 1 ½ cups (132g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (30g) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (166g) fresh strawberries, sliced
For the strawberry sauce:
- 1 cup (166g) fresh strawberries, diced
- ¼ cup (48g) granular sweetener (I like BochaSweet or Lakanto)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Code "KILLINITKETONOW10" gets you $10 off $40 at nowfoods.com
For the strawberry shortcake
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with butter/coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter and sweetener. Using an electric mixer, mix them together until light and fluffy. Add the greek yogurt and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each.
- Then, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt and beat again until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries and pour into your prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until golden brown, firm to the touch, and no longer jiggly in the center.
- Meanwhile, make the strawberry sauce.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and let cool. Cut into desired slices, top with strawberry sauce and sugar-free whipped cream.
For the strawberry sauce
- In a medium saucepan, add the diced strawberries, sweetener, lemon juice, and xantham gum.
- Cook on medium-low for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until thickened and sauce-like consistency.
- Transfer to a glass container. As it cools, the sauce will thicken more.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- I'd recommend storing both the cake and strawberry sauce in the refrigerator and reheating in the microwave or toaster oven when ready to serve.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 slice + ~2 tbsp strawberry sauce): Calories 188; Total Fat 12g; Protein 8g; Total Carbs 12g; Fiber 4g; Net Carbs 8g