Pre-Workout Meal 💪🏻
I’ve been incorporating more ‘carb-ups’ and more of a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) approach lately and my body is lovin’ it! Remember, Keto is a metabolic state NOT a food. Carbs are NOT essential but they most definitely CAN (and in some cases SHOULD) be used to fuel specific types of exercise and performance (in context of course).
This is a typical meal lately that I consume about 2-3 hours pre-workout (I workout around 11 or 12 so this is usually my ‘breakfast’ meal). Macro goals for my pre-workout meal include the following (remember, this is in context of what I’ve found to work for me and my particular routine lately/what I enjoy...everyone is different and has different circumstances...this is just one example and will most likely be switched up/altered as I experiment more):
- ~ 30-40 grams protein
- ~ 20-30 grams carbs
- ~ 5-10 grams fat
- 1/2 teaspoon high-quality salt
- 6 ounces organic chicken breast (~35g protein, 2g fat) ➡️ great source of lean protein and actually very tasty if you cook it correctly (I marinate it in 🍋 juice & spices overnight then grill).
- 150 grams Kabocha Squash (~30g carbs, 3g protein) ➡️ If you’ve never had Kabocha squash before, all I have to say is 🤤🤤...it’s like a mix between sweet potato, butternut squash, and pumpkin. It’s been a fav lately and dare I say I’m starting to like it more than sweet potatoes 🤪 For real though, cut it in half, roast at 400F for 30 minutes and it’s 🔥 🔥
- 15g nut butter (~8g fat, 4g protein, 3g carbs) ➡️ add this to the squash to help slow digestion (consuming fat with carbs helps slow the release of sugar into your bloodstream aka less blood sugar spike/steady release of energy) plus the combo of nut butter + Kabocha squash = 🤤🤪😋...I also add a dash of cinnamon and Real Salt to make it even tastier! 💪🏻
- There is no one way to live a ketogenic lifestyle.
- One size DOES NOT fit all.
- Different strategies work for different people.
Keep Killin It! 💪🏻